Saturday, January 15, 2005

This is for you, Chris


Harry

I’ve been trying to write something on my blog almost daily, but instead of continuing to be really fun and easy, it’s starting to become laborious. I think I’m trying too hard to be a creative writer instead of just journaling my life. Since this is for me and my husband to remember the little details of our kids’ growing up years, I am going to start to relax and just journal the little stuff.

Harrison is sitting on my lap right now. Since it’s Saturday morning, we have the time to do that. No rushing out the door to work and preschool. He’s eating a chocolate sprinkle donut and I’m nibbling on a scone. Both are from our neighborhood grocery store which has a pretty decent bakery. It’s a Saturday tradition. Whoever has their clothes on first, goes out and gets two scones and two sprinkle donuts. Chris went to work this morning and Ella is still sleeping. The house is still dark and Harry is in a great mood. I have an idea. How about an interview?

Questions to Harrison from his Mommy:

M: “What to you want to be when you grow up?”
H: “A truck driver, a combine driver, a tank driver, a car driver.”

M: “What’s your favorite color?”
H: “Black, but I like all the colors. I want to drive colorful things, ok Mama?”

M: “What’s your favorite thing to do at school?”
H: “Nothing.”
M: “No, really.”
H: “But, Maawwwmm, I want to talk about other things. Ok?”
H: “And I wanna beeeee….a fisherman, ummm, a mountain climber, a hunter for animals…”
M: “Anything else?”
H: “That’s it, Mama. That’s all the things I wanna be.”

M: “What’s your favorite thing to do at home?”
H: “Play downstairs.” (our family room doesn’t have any furniture to speak of and is totally dedicated to toys)

M: “What’s your favorite thing to do with your sister?”
H: “Read with my sister.”

M: “What’s your favorite dinner?”
H: “Buh-sketti” (spaghetti)

M: “What do you bring to bed with you to help you sleep?”
H: “My stuffed animals and my blanky with balls.” (his blanket was crocheted for him by some kind old woman in Green Bay and donated to the hospital. They gave it to him when he was 3 months old and in the hospital for whooping cough. The blanket has those popcorn-type knitted balls on it, thus the name)

H: “Mom, let me push some numbers.”
M: “Sure.”
111112222222333333444444
555555555556666666666777777777888888999999999000000

Back to the interview:

M: “What do you like to play or do in the snow?”
H: “I like to play in the snow because I like to throw snowballs and make snowmans.”

M: “What do you like to play or do in the summertime?”
H: “I like to catch leaves in the summertime and I like to play outside, too.”

M: “What books do you like?”
H: “Umm, my Richard Scarry book.”

M: “What football team do you like?” (It’s a playoff weekend…I can’t help it, it’s on my mind!)
H: “I like to play with my football.”
M: “What football team do you like on TV?”
H: “Ummm, the Packers.”
M: “Are you sure? (Remember I’m a Minnesota native desperately trying to erase the five years of our Green Bay existence from my children’s lives!) What about the Vikings?”
H: “Vikings, too.” (That’s my boy!)

M: “Anything else you’d like to say?”
H: “No.”

Theeeee End. (Thanks, Beth for the great stories about your kids. It helps me to remember that it’s ok just to get back to the basics!)

1 comment:

chirky said...

this is fun! i don't have any children yet, but i LO-O-O-O-O-OVVVEEEE talking to my friend's kids. They always have so many interesting things to say. And even when they're not interesting, it's still interesting just because A KID IS SAYING IT. it must be so exciting to be a parent, particularly when your children begin to form words and sentences and can communicate through more than crying!!!