Sunday, March 06, 2005

just another day - extended version

Yesterday

4:45 PM Drag myself into shower – first one in three days!

5:30 PM Husband arrives home from second full day of skiing

6:00 PM Should be leaving to chaperone dinner/dance at my school, but I am still trying to wedge something “Prom-ish” onto my OVERWEIGHT body

6:20 PM Leave for dance. Fight with Chris the entire trip over something like “why don’t we ever plan ahead for things? or my version “Why the hell do you always forget things like this?”

6:50 PM Arrive at dance only 20 minutes late. Notice that there is too much cleavage in the room.

9:40 PM Leave dance completely exhausted. Fight with Chris the entire trip over something like “why didn’t you tell me immediately that your dad said Ella was having difficulty breathing when you called an hour ago?”

10:10 PM Arrive home to find Ella’s breathing very labored.

10:15 PM Call pediatrician’s office – given advice and told to call back at midnight. Give Ella inhaler and change her wet pants that grandpa forgot to change before bedtime.

11:00 PM Set alarm for 12:00 AM – don’t fall asleep till 11:40 PM

Today

12:00 AM Alarm rings. Call pediatrician back. She listens to Ella’s breathing over the phone and tells me to call her back in 30 minutes. Give Ella inhaler and change her into a t-shirt from her footie jammies. Her fever is so high that she’s soaking wet.

12:35 AM Call pediatrician. She tells me to let her sleep, but that she is very worried about her. Thinks she may have influenza, pneumonia or RSV. Tells me to give Ella two more inhaler treatments and to go to the children’s hospital at 7:00 AM.

3:00 AM Ask husband to give Ella inhaler. He does.

5:00 AM Give Ella another inhaler treatment.

7:00 AM As if they knew, both kids awaken. Get them dressed, load in car seats and head to hospital (with a stop on the way for Ella’s favorite sprinkle donut)

7:55 AM Arrive in ER.

8:00 AM Realize that the co-pay is 100 bucks (there goes my hair cut and highlight for another month or so)
9:15 AM Administer nebulizer treatment to Ella after Chris and Harrison leave to go check on stepson and father in law. Listen to Ella scream hysterically for first 30 minutes of the 60 minute treatment.

10:15 AM Treatment is over. Ella has stopped shaking and crying and asks to go potty.

10:16 AM Ella throws up in hallway.

11:50 AM Doctor returns to assess Ella’s breathing. Thinks she probably has RSV or a bad flu.

12:40 PM Receive final instructions and are able to leave.

1:00 PM Chris leaves with stepson to go have one-on-one time.

2:19 PM Harrison and Ella each have tantrum number 50 million.

2:20 PM Carol has mental and physical melt down.

5:15 PM Chris’ entire family starts to arrive for another dinner at our house.

9:30 PM Carol retreats to bedroom and prays she never has a three day weekend like this again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is fine by now and this week will be a good one for you!

Anne said...

What a horrible, stressful weekend! I hope Ella is feeling better and that you're coping. I cannot believe the family still came over for dinner?!!

chisparoja said...

right there with anne! your baby was in the hospital all day and you came home and cooked dinner for 10?!? i'll tell ya - you are a better person than i am!

whew - hope your week improves and that you and ella are both in better health.

Anonymous said...

What an awful weekend! I'm sorry Ella's so sick, it must be incredibly stressful and then you dump all of the other things on top like visiting relatives, chaperoning, dinners for large groups, being sick yourself...

I'd be dead. I hope you're feeling better soon and get a little time to catch your breath. I'm amazed you were able to blog at all!

blackbird said...

It's not always a good idea to list everything...yikes! I feel for you -- have had those asthma treatment weekends.
Hope the week is better.

Anonymous said...

You poor thing. I wish I could reach out and give you a hug. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Carol, it sounds as though you coped really well with an absolutely foul weekend. How you managed a family dinner on top of all that I just don't know. Best wishes for this week anyway - I hope things improve soon.

Susie Sunshine said...

I hope the worst is over now.
What a bummer to be sick with out of towners visiting.

Be well!

(And how awesome to have made good friend like Beth who will help you. I think an area with you, Beth, and Heather residing there would be an interesting neighborhood indeed!)

Anonymous said...

Lurker coming out of hiding to send some healing vibes and warmth your way. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and I know you will see brighter days soon. The one thing that boggles my mind that I've seen you mention a couple of times on this site: being overweight. What, what about you is overweight?? I just don't get it. You are beautiful..and honestly, there's nothing fat about you. I mean, I guess I've only seen pictures of you from the waist up, but unless your rear balloons out 6 feet wide and is drastically out of proportion to your upper half, there's just nothing large about you. We women are so hard on ourselves. Cheers, Kate

MorahMommy said...

I hope that Ella is feeling better, soon.

Next time tell your family to prepare supper for you. It sounds like you could use the break.

Don't feel bad about sharing your problems, stresses, complaints, etc. That's what "friends" are for.