Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Can I have one?


Harrison has always been someone to discover. He doesn’t communicate easily. He holds his cards close to his chest and then he slowly gives you clues. For example, when he gets angry, he pushes, cries, or even hits. At school, he hasn’t bitten other kids. He was almost kicked out for this behavior. ( I know! It’s developmentally inappropriate.) When he’s proud, he looks down and slowly smiles. If he’s really proud, he’ll probably respond to your request for a “high five” or a hug. When he’s ashamed or embarrassed by something he’s done, he’ll smile and then run away – acting as if he brazenly doesn’t care, but oh, does he care. Rarely, though he is getting MUCH better, does he just verbally explain how he’s feeling. I am often frustrated by this because I am SO verbal. Ask anyone – I wear my emotions on my sleeve. Adapting to our personality differences has been a challenge for both Harry and me. I do think, however, that my persistence in trying to interpret his emotions has paid off and will continue to in the future.

Sunday I bought the kids a $5 Playdoh Fun Factory. Harrison absolutely LOVES it. He sat down and played with it for about an hour and a half the first time he used it. Yesterday morning he had some extra time before school and played with it for another 30 minutes. He made “snakes” and then rolled them up into “fruit roll ups.” He made over 25 of these roll ups - rolling them up, over and over. During these calm times, when he is so focused (okay obsessed), I love to watch him. I stand back and just take him in. I watch his curious nature explore every inch of whatever it is he is working on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool you've found an outlet for him, and that you're able to share in his discoveries. I have an almost 2 year old who loves to draw, and I love to listen to him talk to his pictures, naming each squiggle as something important to him. It's so cool to see his intentions, even though the only recognizable things he can produce are 'I's and circles. There is nothing more fulfilling than watching a child expand themself joyfully.

Anonymous said...

It's fascinating to watch children's personalities develop, especially when characteristics emerge that you don't immediately recognise as yours. Moments like the one you described in your post really remind us of their individuality.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Playdoh Fun Factory! We had great fun with it as kids, except when our Playdoh would dry out and my mom would make us use her homemade La Lache League playdoh...it just never worked as well.

Little boys are a mystery. It must be amazing to have this child who is a part of you, but so different. Just imagine how he's going to keep revealing himself over the years...

chisparoja said...

OMG - blogger's letting me post?! i'm shocked - shocked i tell you. ah... quiet time for mommy... it relaxes me just to read about it! love the concentration on his face/in his body language in the top photo!

Anonymous said...

maybe he'll grow up to become a scientist? it's always fun to think what the little kiddos will grow up to become.

Susie Sunshine said...

Isn't the smell of Playdough the greatest thing? And isn't it great to know that your son will have nice feelings from that smell because of these days?