Saturday, March 05, 2005

Feel the love

I’m the odd duck - the only non-stay-at-home-mom in my neighborhood. Despite this I have managed to make several good friends here. I have my summers free (thank you public education) and did have a chance last summer to meet some people. When work started, I had enough seeds planted that they just blossomed over the winter even though I wasn’t around much.

These past couple of days of being sick (yes, I’m still laying down – day #3) have given me a lot of time to reflect. Some of my neighbors have offered to help in many different ways and for that I’m thankful. Beth, especially, has come to my rescue again.

This morning everyone went skiing again except for me and Ella. My little girl woke up last night with a fever and must still be fighting the flu she had earlier this week that she has now given me. I feel pretty good, but my fatigue is unbelievable. Even the littlest task will wind me. Beth called to check on me and immediately sensed my exhaustion. She sized up the situation (that I was alone with Ella) and said, “I’m coming over to get her. She can do a craft with the boys.” I was so relieved. It took her a little longer to get here than I thought, but I wasn’t complaining. My God – she was taking my child so I could nap – it doesn’t get much better than that! When she arrived, being the kind, direct Midwestern girl I love, she said, “You look sick.” Then she said, “Sorry it took me so long to get here, but it’s Mayberry around here!” What? “I stopped so many times to talk to people on my way.” I do have a great block with lots of nice families – 13 kids age 5 and under. The weather is around 60, (although I really don’t know, I’m STILL inside) and as it does everywhere when it starts to warm up, everyone goes out into their yard. We chatted about who she talked with and then she insisted I nap while they were gone. Ella was really excited to go with her. That, to me, is the true sign of a good friend. She has taken the time to connect with my kids.

While Ella’s been gone, I talked to my mom, uninterrupted, for the first time in weeks. It was wonderful. I told her that I think I really understand what it’s like to be fatigued for a sustained period of time. I feel much more empathetic for her situation.

I took a nap. I laid down and fell asleep in my bed in the middle of the day.

I just heard from Beth that she is taking Ella to the park. Ella wanted to talk to me. “Mama! I pee-ed on the toilet!” Beth has had her for over two hours and she hasn’t had an accident. This is a miracle. Ella had completely backtracked on her previous potty training success and I was starting to really freak out about her switching schools in TWO AND A HALF DAYS!

Beth, you are a potty training, craft wizard, crazy friend. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the exhaustion is just awful! I can't imagine what it would be like if I had other people to worry about. I hope you're feeling better as soon as possible.

I am jealous of the warm weather. I just talked to my mom. They flew into Utah today and she said they had to stop on their way from the airport so my dad could change into his shorts and sandals...cause, you know, it was over 50 degrees and he's from MN.