Monday, August 28, 2006

It's going to be a long year

Mrs. X: “Carol? This is (Harry’s teacher). How are you?”

Me: (tentatively) “Okay, and you?”

Mrs. X: “Just wanted to let you know that there was a little incident today during Art. The scissors were out and Harry cut G’s hair (adorable little girl down the street).

Me: “Oh my god.”

Mrs. X: “I have to give him credit. G came up to report it and I called Harry up. I asked him what happened and he said, ‘I cut G’s hair.’ I told him that it was completely unacceptable to cut hair in this classroom (somehow I think he already knows that), and asked him why he did it. He said, ‘I don’t know.’”

Me: “I truly believe that. He does things without thinking quite a bit. He has a bit of an impulsive streak.” (Just check out most of my archives from the last school year!)

Mrs. X: “Well, I think a note of apology to G would be nice.”

Me: “Of course.”

Mrs. X: “I haven’t had any other problems with him (IT’S ONLY THE 4th DAY OF SCHOOL!!!) I just thought you should know and now I am going to call G’s parents.”

Me: “Do you have to? I’m already on thin ice with them – I really don’t think her mom likes me.” (yes…I actually said all of that.) "Can you tell where he cut it?"

Mrs. X: nervous laugh “No, but I still think a note of apology would be nice.”

Yes, ma’am.

No comments: