Wednesday, April 06, 2005

We're slow, but we usually figure it out in the end

I am having writer’s block today. Thought for awhile about addressing the body image issues I have. I do read my comments and apparently a few of you think that I over estimate my weight. It’s a complex issue that I will address soon, but don’t feel like it today. So, in keeping with the theme of this blog – “a record of our life” – here’s the latest on our boy.

Both kids went back to school on Monday. We went back to working a full week. And it feels good to be back on a regular schedule. Usually, this is all Harrison needs to stay happy and calm, but we have noticed that he is still off kilter. Just like when he would cry as an infant, and we would try to decipher what was wrong, (digestive issues? not enough sleep? just plain irritability?) lately we have been trying to figure out where his latest sensitivity issues stem from.

At first I thought it might be left over from last week’s illness. He has been so tired lately thus causing his current irritability (I can’t call my son a pain in the ass, can I?). Because of the amount of time he’s been sleeping lately, I started thinking it might be mono. Can a 4-year-old get mono? Last weekend, for example, he fell asleep in the mid-afternoon both days and slept till morning. Also, mid-scream, last night, he fell asleep at 7:30 about an hour and fifteen minutes before he usually goes to bed. He was so angry with me, for taking him out of the bath tub before he was ready, that he just started screaming. He kept it up while I dried him off, put on his pajamas and pulled back his covers. I told him I would be right back as I went to get Ella ready for her bath. Harrison just kept screaming for about two more minutes and then it mysteriously stopped. I went in to check on him and he was out cold.

Tonight I started a Digital Photography class with Beth. Chris was on his own with the kids, and after I got home, told me that Harrison had another rough night. We finally had time to talk it through and decided that maybe he needs more sleep...hmmm, YOU THINK?!! (Hey, we’re no dummies, it just takes us awhile.) So new sleep schedule starting tomorrow – in bed by 8:00 pm – and here’s our latest theory – he’s having a growth spurt. He’s been in about the same size clothing for over a year and a half, so I think he’s due.

So..there you have it. The newest, up-to-the-minute information to hit the parenting world in decades: children grow and it wears them out. I really should be writing for a parenting magazine or website. Don’t you think?

No comments: