Monday, December 15, 2008

Everything all at once


The kids have started piano lessons this fall.  They had their first recital last week.  Harry played "Up on the Housetop" and Ella charmed us with "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas".  



When my mom was alive, I would talk with her at least once a week and fill her in on every detail of our life.  She was intensely interested in the silliest things, like the paint color I chose for the nursery or the idiosyncrasies of one of my co-workers.  My dad is a bit different.  He usually dominates the conversation with details of his social life (he is down to one girlfriend) and the latest scores he received playing golf.  After about 30 minutes, he'll finally ask, "So, how are things with you?"  By this time, I am tired of being on the phone and usually just give him a cursory overview.   Since he doesn't want to hear it all, I'll just write it down.

There is so much going on right now.  It's overwhelming and exciting, but hard work and exasperating all at the same time.  Christmas is taking somewhat of a back seat.  We've got so many construction projects going on that it doesn't allow for cookie-baking and/or craft projects.  The downstairs office and bath we are adding is fifty percent done.  The bathroom is painted, but doesn't have any fixtures.  The office has become our bedroom.  We moved down here last week and I just use the adjoining "bathroom" as a dressing room/Christmas present hiding spot.  Our old bedroom has become Ella's.  I've been painting for a week.  She picked the colors - three pink walls, one brown.  Polka dots as accents.  Purple and brown on the pink walls - purple and pink on the brown wall.  It is done and looks great.  It is definitely a girl's room.  Harrison is staying in the kid's old room and we'll repaint over the school break.  He doesn't know what he wants.  I'm just trying to keep him from painting everything navy, gray and black - like Star Wars.

I haven't been getting too many hours at my little assistant job.  I was supposed to get about 8 - 10 a week, but it's become about 8 - 10 a month.  This has, however, offered me the opportunity to get more serious about trying to become a professional photographer.  It's one of the "overwhelming" parts of what has been going on, but also the most exciting.  I haven't felt this positive about anything in a long time.

Basie has become more and more an integral part of things.  She is such a people dog.  Has to be near us all the time and has the greatest expressions.  After all the illnesses, and a bit of poor behavior, at the beginning - we are all thrilled that she is with us.  We don't have a fenced yard so I walk her about 3 - 4 times a day.  I have started meeting all the dog people in the neighborhood.  I also have a new appreciation for my neighborhood.  I love looking at all the architecture.

We always seem to get ourselves into too much, but it usually works in the end.  Mom would be fretting for us so much - I guess it's better she doesn't know.  

Last Saturday was three years.


4 comments:

zipbagofbones said...

Great photos of the kids playing piano, love the tree in the foreground! Would love to see photos of the pink and brown room!

blackbird said...

I know that it probably seems like you lost your mom three WEEKS ago...and I know just what it's like to miss calling every day to give someone all the details.

Your kids looks so big and wonderful and I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful year next year!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Wow. I cannot believe that it has been 3 years...

I would love to see some of the photography that you are working on!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing again. I too would love to see photos of Ella's room.