Sunday, August 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Christopher


We've been together for almost eleven years.  This weekend I was reminded that I don't know him as well as I should.  On Friday, I offered him the choice of two things for a birthday gift:  a 24 hour rental of a Harley-Davidson (the one I really hoped he'd pick!) or a university extension writing course (he secretly wants to have his own blog and make millions so that he can stay home while I go to work).  He thought over his options for about a millisecond and said, "Didn't you know that my motorcycle license expired?"  Then on Saturday, after returning from the grocery store thinking I had picked up all the necessary basics, I was quickly corrected.  I think his exact words were, "How can you have known me for so long and continue to forget to buy the things that I like?!!"  Defensively, I raised my voice (not too much) and responded that I am always thinking of him.  That he is my universe - of course I give him what he needs.  I just had no idea he would get so worked up over orange juice.  You would think I forgot the gin!

I am glad that these are the types of "conflicts" we're encountering at this stage of the game.  After nine years of marriage, I am as secure as ever in the decision I made to marry Chris.  As the two of us hit the big "44" this year, I'm realizing that things change with age.  There are weird things that happen to your body, and different challenges as the children age as well.  

I am so lucky that I have such an amazing man that's willing to watch me get even older - or is it that he's lucky I'm willing to watch?

5 comments:

blackbird said...

A good day for a birthday - I hope his was happy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Christopher!

I hope you will share the story of what happened with B when you're ready.

It's not just morbid curiosity -- my stepson just came to live with us. It makes me feel connected in a way.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish I had friends that I felt comfortable enough with to throw my husband's birthday party at their house. Must be a mid-Western/Southern thing. Us Northeasterners are ridiculously self-sufficient. We even hate borrowing stuff from our friends.

Husbands are tough...they think they're communicating, but they're speaking a completely different language. 12 years later I think I know him pretty well, but he still surprises me sometimes. Looks like you guys had a nice evening though and isn't that what it's all about?

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Chris!

Looks like a great party!

Midlife Mama said...

I've been married a decade and a half to a wonderful man who looks better at 45 than he did at 30...me, well, not so much. I still think that anyone who "gets" you and is willing to age with you is lucky. And the OJ thing...I laughed mightily...mine was english muffins!