Tuesday, March 04, 2008

expect greatness

I did it.  I signed up for a training class at the Apple store for tomorrow night.  I don't know diddly about this new laptop toy of mine, so Chris got me a "One on One" membership which allows me to get trained on any and everything MacBook Pro for one year.  Tomorrow, I will learn how to organize my photos.  That's what they're calling the session...I'll just ask for help setting up Flickr or something similar so that I can post photos here.  

After my training session, on my uber expensive non-necessary computer, I'll be taking 100 blankets to a homeless shelter with about 15 of my students.  We are going to do crafts with the children that are there for an hour.  I bought, with our club funds raised from bake sales, etc., THREE HUNDRED yards of fleece.  I have been tying knots for the last month.  We are making 200 total.  We are giving the other 100 to a domestic shelter located near our school and to Project Linus which gives homemade blankets to children in the hospital.

The dichotomy of the two events I'm attending after work seem almost surreal.  Most of the students that are going tomorrow night are from wealthy families.  I hope they gain from this experience and don't just log it into their community service hour tallies without thought.  I wish I could bring my kids, but they discourage bringing young children to these activity nights. 

I have a constant fear that my kids will become unappreciative and materialistic.  I make it something I work on with them all the time.  

Parenting - if it's not one thing - it's another.

No comments: