Saturday, September 22, 2007

43 going on 22

Today has felt a bit like a weekend day in college. I went to an Indoor Cycling class (not to be confused with Spinning class, of course) at a local college’s fitness center. The class was small, probably due to its early hour (11:15 AM), and that meant I was forced to interact with the few college students without hangovers. They complained about homework, fretted about upcoming tests and papers, and of course spoke about their upcoming nuptials to returned missionaries.

The music during class was great. It saved me from collapsing due to the intense burning in my lungs and quads. Exercising with college kids is a tad different from my usual classmates at my spinning class – let’s just say that I’m one of the younger members. We listened to “My Sharona” – The Knack and “Beat It” – Michael Jackson right off the bat. I knew this was the class for me. As another song came on, the instructor (a.k.a. naïve’, Mormon, 21-year-old bride-to-be) asked if any of us had heard it before – as if it were new. I burst their bubble and told them that it was really old. It was “Come On Eileen” – Dexys Midnight Runners (I looked it up) circa 1982…THE YEAR I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL. They were dumbfounded. Then one of the other students said, trying to make me feel included, “Music from the eighties is the best!” At first I laughed, but then remembered what I revered musically during college – sixties’ songs: Van Morrison, the Beatles, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, the Stones, etc.

After class, I was released from taxi duty for the kids and actually took a shower and worried about styling my hair. Why? Because I cut it off and now have to do something with it. Thursday night I paid a ridiculous amount of money for someone to take away my comfort – my long hair. It is shoulder length now – or should I just say “old lady length”. At first it looked great. I’m convinced they put magic potion in the water at salons. They massage and rub all the frizz and tackiness out of your hair so that for one day you look trendy and attractive. I knew that once I washed and dried my hair the magic would be gone. I wasn’t prepared, however, for how ordinary and boring it looks. I wouldn’t care as much if we weren’t going to a party tonight.

Back to the college reference, I’ve spent a large portion of the day worrying about going out tonight. I am fretting over my hair (check), I do not know what I’m going to wear but have four options on the bed ready to try on (check). I bought a new tube of lipstick (check). I tried on multiple trendy shirts at Target only to be completely disgusted and deflated (check). Doesn’t this sound a bit like college? Actually having time to fret and plan about the evening ahead.

The sisters that are giving the party are beautiful and fit. They dress up for their soirees and truly enjoy entertaining. This will not be an ordinary party. There will be large buckets filled with ice for the white wine, fancy hors devours, and tons of attractive, intelligent guests. It’s great, but a little nerve wracking at the same time.

Can you imagine how freaked out I’d be if I were single?

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Do post a picture of your new hair. I'm certain that despite what you say, it looks fabulous! And as I'm 41 with short hair, I'm going to tell you to be careful with the short hair/old lady comments ;)

B.E.C.K. said...

The party sounds like a wonderful break. Hope you had a great time! :-)

TheOneTrueSue said...

The party sounds like all of my worst nightmares. Now if I had someone who would come over, tell me what to wear, do my hair and make-up and give me a pep talk before hand, I'd be golden. How was it?

Anonymous said...

Any chance you took some pics from the party? Your new do?

Anonymous said...

I want to see your hair and hear about the party too.

-amanda r.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see the new do!

Anonymous said...

pssst, it's spelled hors d'oeuvres ;-)